Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's been a while

So I realize I haven't posted a blog in a while and I actually have a good reason for it. I always just want to say the same thing. That I am just happy and I really have realized that happiness is a choice because I have found that it is and just keep finding that out every day. Actually I just thought of something different to write about and any normal person right now in their train of thought would go back and delete the first part of this post or maybe even change the title... but not me... it's probably because of a mix of laziness and because I don't really care if it's there or not because let's face it, after I post this, I probably won't read it, and if I do, I'll just skip over that part :) But one thing I have realized from talking to some of my sisters, my mom, friends, and just observing people, girls in particular, is that most of us view ourselves as our worst self. We have the uncanny(not even really sure what that word means but it seems to fit) ability to look in the mirror or think of our personality, pick out the worst in it and think that that is how everyone sees us or that is what everyone else notices. In reality, that is not what people notice. It sort of upsets me when I see girls walking around campus with their heads hung down day after day because they just don't realize that they are so amazing and I don't even know them but everyone has something to offer and nobody should ever feel like people only look at them for their flaws. I used to have this problem where if people were whispering or talking quieter when I walked by or was in the room that they just had to be talking about me and it had to be about what I was wearing or something I did that was weird or just anything negative about me. One day I just thought about it and realized I'm not the center of everyone's conversations so I just needed to stop worrying about it and live my life! haha It sounds ridiculous but it's true. I feel like we concentrate so much on our faults and what other people might think that it imprisons us in a way that we don't focus on what is good in each of us. I tried to find a quote on this but was unsuccessful and got tired of looking... but I think each one of us has the power to decide how we want to live our lives and we choose how we look at ourselves.

I feel like many times each of us looks at the scripture about the worth of souls being great in the sight of God as a verse about service and helping those in need, which is great but to me it also means that I'm important and I'm great :)

2 comments:

luvnmy10 said...

I love this post, Mandy. My favorite quote about choosing and attitude is by Tolstoy: If you wish to be happy, be. Simple and plain. If we want to be happy, then be happy! As for the flaws thing, I think it is ineherent in us as women--obviously a flaw in the x chromosones, men only have one, so it isn't really noticeable! HA love you and your blog!

Stephie said...

oh my goodness!! This is SO true! it frustrates me too! and I always have to think of the talk elder uchtdorf's talk a couple of RS broadcasts ago... (I am attaching the link because it really is one of my very favorite talks of all time and I think of it probably every single day. You werent in relief society yet so im not sure if you have heard it or not but oh boy what a treat! I am constantly thinking about when i dont get cute before going to work, or dont have time to finish the laundry or make a nice dinner (tonight we had ramen:) that I focus on all the stuff I didnt get done and I remember this talk and try and just think about the stuff I did get done and the talents i do have and that way i m just grateful to heavenly father instead of feeling all bummed. love your post naise:)
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=ae484bb52a73d110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Post a Comment